Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Fight for Freedom



Yesterday after school, Mara (Kindergarten) asked very matter-of-factly, “Mama, did anyone in our family fight for my freedom?”  I thought for a minute and gave her a list (albeit an incomplete one).  The names satisfied her curiosity (at least for now), but her question had unsettled my spirit.  How often had I thought of those men and women as fighting for my freedom?  How would my view of them change if I really understood their personal sacrifice and how that sacrifice has shaped my day-to-day activity?  … if I had any idea how different my life would be if not one person had seen fit to serve and protect and defend?  If my new awareness caused a change in perspective, could it be seen in my daily life?
 
This morning as I sat down for my quiet time and looked over to open the Bible, the Lord reminded me (in my spirit), ‘I fought for your freedom.’  And those questions that crowded my mind last night came flooding back, but this time from a different angle:
How often do I think of Jesus as fighting for my freedom?  How would my view of Him change if I really took the time to better understand His personal sacrifice and how that sacrifice shapes my daily experience?  Do I really have any idea how different my life would be if Jesus hadn‘t come for me?  Can others see my gratitude in my day-to-day activities?   

 I challenge you, along with myself, to prayerfully consider these questions those regarding our U.S. servicemen and veterans as well as those concerning the Lord Jesus Christ.  In the next few days, as we honor our veterans (and rightfully so), let us offer them thanks that goes beyond words; let our thanks come from our hearts and find its expression in our actions.  Likewise thank God, our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ for the incomprehensible mission He accomplished through His life, death, burial, and resurrection … for His Holy Spirit whom He has sent to and with which He has sealed each one of us who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior (Acts 1:8, Eph 1:13).

I am humbled to know that some of you reading this offering are acutely aware of the kind of service and sacrifice of which I admit to being inexcusably ignorant.  I find myself wondering how your service experience affects your view of Jesus and His sacrifice.  I invite you to add a comment to this post sharing your thoughts, and I thank you for fighting for my freedom.


Related Bible verses (more important than any thoughts or devotion I could offer):
            Gen 3:15; Luke 4:16-19; John 8:36, 17:18-20; 2 Tim 2:3-4; Heb 9:14

No comments:

Post a Comment